6.13.2008

Just what are Wii gonna do?

Wii's have been doing plenty good for sales and games, despite their cutesiness. (Apparently not a word) Super Mario Galaxy starts a lil' slow and lame at first, but the only game that I know doesn't is Gears of War and GTA IV. Galaxy is definitely what makes that console tick. Although the fact that is processed by a compact Single Board Computer with motion sensing capabilities has little to do with it's success. I'm guessing that many designers and programmers had small glimpses of the world only after Nintendo completely changed it's mantra of how to plot the defensive against its adversaries in the Game Console World. Still kickin' it with Galaxy occasionally, I find myself challenged and justified when a level is completed.

Much is the same with Zack and Wiki though which fully exploits the motion detecting "WiiMote" for every thing. In fact I'm not as jolly as I'd think I'd be now considering I've been waiting to play the game with my lil' brother when he is finally out of school. I had my hopes too high. Then again its only a video game.

Playing Zack and Wiki as well as Galaxy has shown a screwed up conundrum occurring in the Wii console. Very rarely on the menu or any time there is few colors displayed does the screed look perfect and sharp. During action scenes though with much texture, little speckles of color from another part of the display show up. These speckles go by the name of artifacting or tearing and will begin to derive from a game the second they become visible. I've read several forums and such of this subject with many saying they believe WiiConnect24 is the problem because it leaves the Wii on, heating up the ATI "Hollywood" Video Chipset. Damn it. My Wii has rarely gotten hot. And not even close when in standby. Ughhh. I'll call Nintendo tomorrow and see what's up.

No comments: