6.21.2008

Fairhaven and it's goods

It was a beautiful sunset right outside my bedroom window at the house I still have yet to move into. I'm really only missing my bed. The sky bled black to blue to orange to yellow. I couldn't stop wanting to run home and get my mom's camera. Or at least blaming myself with the proof that I need my own camera. Which reminds me, my brother will be buying a D40 camera kit with a bonus zoom lens from Best Buy. I'll definitely tell you guys how that goes, as it should be a good purchase for an introductory dSLR. I've watched many a YouTube video, and read many articles on cameras to confidently say that it is a damn good 6.1 MP dSLR for $600.

I've felt the urge to go into Eclipse Book store for a long while now. My friend decided that it would be a good idea to walk through Fairhaven which I'd have to admit was a perfect idea.

Walking along the street from the East-side of Edgemoor was entirely without any hiccups. The town (or village) how ever is becoming very Seattle like which is kind of annoying. I don't in any way politically object to the city council's decisions to limit the outward growth of Bellingham, but the amount of construction everywhere in the city was at it's last and final peak (hopefully for quite a while) a year ago with construction booming over the 5 years previous to that. The city in my eyes seemed to explode with construction happening from Bakerview in North Bellingham to Harris in Fairhaven (south B'ham). Humorously and perhaps even ironic enough the business section of one of Fairhaven's newer buildings had only one renter out of the 6 or so available.

Eclipse bookstore upon arrival seemed like used bookstore you'd expect to find in a town of open-minded people. Books were strewned about all over the buildings interior which seemed to compromise mainly of shelves. The rest was books. Ranging from Marx to Hannity, the politcal spectrum was very widespread. However it was very overwhelming as you could understand from a store that specializes only in used books. This doesn't have the financial backing of Barnes and Noble. The prize lies within available to those who look though. And many a hidden gem there were. My quick eyed friend landed himself with Songs of the Beast: The History of Metal. And I found a book that contains 25 essays by majors of various sides of the spectrum of science on what the next 50 years will hold. Not as great a find as the pre-film release version of Children of Men which again my sharp eyed friend stumbled upon while I was searching feverishly for a C Sharp book or at least a book on C++ written in the last 15 years. The fact that there are 2 stories to this collection of literature is easy to get lost in. Coming to the counter after finding the bounty is complemented by the friendly owner who enforces some eye contact and small talk. Eclipse bookstore is definitely a store I am going to frequent so that one day I can find whatever I want on paper with ease, and of course take some of those hidden gems onto my bookshelf.

No comments: