8.23.2009

That's how I feel about SciFi

So I've been waiting for "District 9" to come out for awhile although I'd definitely say that they did a damn good job of keeping everything quite about it. Yes, I finally saw it.I thought it was going to be maybe like a much better "Silent Running" type of movie that is shot somewhat in a mock-umentary format. But believe me, it is not. Though it starts out like that for maybe a good 20 minutes or more, you will soon see it is not a mock-umentary of some fictional alien/human incident. No, it was created by a very talented writer and CG Artist of Vancouver, BC, Canada.
And what all of this crazy and complex story has lifted off of me is the fact that storylines that actually seem to have a purpose, that though there is aliens or it is in space. It's only to cause a sense of wonder while still tying us to the ground that we are human. And that there will always be struggles. This is what alot of the superhero movies of today seem to be about. And I'm glad to see it is what is back in Science Fiction. Not some lame story wrapped in explosions and sex to sell.
But more importantly and I've felt this way for a while now, is that those few and ignorant people that make us look bad. Its really hard to fix what they do. Its the way its always been. Much like human trust, is slow to build and easy to break. It is these human emotions that make Science Fiction the nerd's equivalent of a good Shakespeare story. It is good to have that back.
And that's how I feel about SciFi!

*Don't worry I'll write a review though it may be a little redundant now, but I need sleep in order to get money tomorrow!

No comments: