5.16.2009

its hard to know what you want

"I'm here at this point in time.
And I see myself how I want to be in the future.
I want to get there.
So in being here how do I arrive there?" asked the student to his more experienced fellow.

"But there in lies the question," is his response.

"So then should I just go out and try everything that should get me in that direction?"

A simple, "No" comes from the elder.
"You should make sure that what you want to achieve is what you want to achieve!"

"But I am sure that this is what I see myself doing", the student replies.

"Ahh, but can you see yourself doing something else as well? The generalist cannot go out and achieve a hundred things at once you see!", says the elder. "You must first improve what you see as your weak point and then forever on focus on your strong points!"

"Is this why it seems is so few generalists out there?", the student inquires.

"It depends on how you define it because everyone can do more than one thing well, but only generalists strive to do so many things well. It is truly not bad to be well rounded, but it is a shame to allow yourself to be lost in a sea of competition."

No comments: