7.24.2008

Thinkin 'bout modeling my entire town for Google Earth

All though this has been in my mind several times before, it sometimes takes someone mentioning it to cause one to commit. Once I saw that Google Earth had 3D building capability and even more so when I found out it was users that were creating the building, I've wanted to make Sketch-up models so that my flat 3D-Building-less town could enjoy the eyes that the larger cities may get in Google Earth. It sort of goes along with my whole "become a part of the internet" thing back when I started my Wikipedia account to help upkeep and expand it. Wikipedia is definitely a great tool and I use it almost daily.

In light of the fact that I will be dedicating time to this endeavor so (I, solely can claim to many that I created a representation of the city,) I am starting a new Blog beyond this one, yet to be titled, that will be a list of my travels learning Sketch-Up, Google's 3D modeling app used in Google Earth. This is not so that I can brag that I modeled my town but so others can get involved in their city/town's modeling projects for Google Earth. Heck, they could even be the first their town much like it seems I am to be. I hope that this new blog can be of some help to new users to Sketch-up and hopefully relieve some of the troubles I had when trying to figure out how to upload to Google Earth from Sketch-up as well give some tips and tricks to using Sketch-Up more efficiently as I learn them.

I will keep updates for this new blog posted here close to daily.

No comments: