6.01.2014

How well does solar work in the rainy NW

I can't help that my self diagnosed ADHD brain can't keep up with studying several programming languages (I really need to practice rather than reading) for several different ideas, and then this idea.  Almost 2 years ago a friend told me that he had done a report at Whatcom that was about the efficiency of solar panels on cell towers. His conclusion was that no grid input power was needed for day light operation. This intriqued me as one the amount of effort he put into getting sources but for other high-daytime traffic uses for solar like at a mall or other business that closes at or before 9PM. The local mall, just like most other malls doesn't stay open long into the night, and has lots of open roof space. I know several stores in the mall may go almost 24 hours with workers stocking and maintaining, but all the little stores are empty and powered down.
My next quest for answers is to find how much surface area in solar panels would be needed for the expected power of operating daytime businesses.
One thing, stands partially in the way though, what is the cheapest but most efficient brand and type of solar. Wikipedia can tell me the efficiency of different chemistries in panels, but I want at least some market insight on popular and reliable brands.
When I find that information, and have figured the available area of the mall here in Bellingham (I know the name, I'm just not advertising for them at the moment) can I finish a respectable report.
So until then, or if I somehow get sidetracked (on my original idea) and compete with Viking Food, we'll see.

No comments: